2015년 11월 10일 화요일

We should enjoy crimes 'in text' only!


American crime stories

retold by John Escott
Oxford (stage 6)





My Score: ★★★★☆ 3.5/5.0


I love criminal stories. They usually have robbery, cheating, murder.. and all bad things. Those interesting elements make me keep reading. (because They provoke curiosity about next story. I never mean I like crimes in real life! )
This book contains seven crime stories. Some stories are short, but the others are rather long.

1. Death Wish -by Lawrence block

The beginning part of the story was interesting. It revealed how Mark prepared to take revenge on Edward, who killed his wife on purpose. I thought, it's a good thing we don't have legal guns in Korea. Whew!


2. Death on Christmas Eve - by Stanley Ellin

This is the shortest story, but the most impressive one. I was in a little shock when I read the reversal in the last part. I want to give this story the top rank!


3. The Heroine -by Patricia Highsmith

One's desire to be accepted as an essential person could make him cruel. This phrase came out to mind: It is hard to fathom the real minds and intentions of men.


4. Ride the Lightning -by John Lutz

I was disappointed because the crime was not planned meticulously, and detective Nudger couldn't show his ability at all. I miss Sherlock!


5. The Lipstick -by Mary Roberts Rinehart

Elinor died after falling from the hospital building. People believed that she committed suicide, but her sister Louise didn't believe it and tried to find the truth herself alone. Louise never would be close to the truth if a little girl suddenly hadn't appeared and gave the important clue to her.


6. Lazy Susan -by Nancy Pickard

I think this is a kinda comedy story. Can Laziness of someone really turn into crime? If so, I could be a professional and habitual criminal already... Anyway, It is the second one I recommend you to read in this book.


7. The Gutting of Couffinal -by Dashiel Hammett

Ughh! I never like Russian novels or short stories because of terrible name of characters! How do you read-or remember when their names are Zhukovshi or Pleshskev? I can't even imagine how they pronounce it. lol  Moreover, the story was kinda boring, so I'd like to give the lowest grade on it!

Overall, I enjoyed the stories because they had different kinds of crime. Some stories gave me stress a bit, though.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기